Thursday, April 8, 2010

Am I the only one??

OK, I have a question. Am I the only one who gets irritated when other people say they homeschool, but they don't? They say they homeschool when they teach their kids after school and on the weekends, or in the summer. Isn't that called being a parent? Or if their oldest is 3 or 4 and they are teaching preschool. I consider homeschooling if your kids are of school age. Preschool isn't school age. That's again, being a parent and preparing your child for school.

Sorry, but some people just irritate me. I needed to vent.


5 comments:

Cheryl Pitt said...

I won't say it irritates me per se. But I will admit to giving a little snort and thinking "You can't HANDLE homeschooling" all Jack Nicholson like, just as Pioneer Woman recommends (if you saw that post) :)

Shannon said...

Funny... I find that most people don't WANT to admit they are actually homeschooling unless they really are. Where do you find these people that say that? Strange...

Shannon said...

....and yeah... I call that "homework" ;)
.... or trying to catch a kid up where the public school is lacking ;)
.... or trying to "out do" their mommy friends ;)

Jeanine said...

i DO get irritated at the first kind of person but not the second. i think preschoolers (and toddlers, even) can be homeschooled because there is actually curriculum and there are public school options (at least where i live). so i actually DO say i homeschool all 4 of my kids: 6th grade, preschool, toddler and baby! :)

Unknown said...

Well my son is still in daycare(until the end of the month) but I call what we do homeschooling, but only because I know in a month thats what were going to be doing full time. He starting Kindergarten. But if there just doing homework assignments and such with their child while the public school teachers are doing the meat and potatos of their education I would be ticked too.
I'm a huge believer in early education. I believe the younger the child the more their brains can absorb. Right now I'm teaching my son to read and tell time and he's 4 and doing very will with it. You can even get curriculum and such.
LOL anyhow I just stopped by to say "Hi" I noticed you noted me for UBP. I've added you to my blog reader!